Whether or not a company wants to believe it, information systems (IS) are a very important part of how the business runs now. This includes how data is stored, transferred and understood by all the different departments in the agency. The problem is, it seems that business owners are not really aware of how important IS to their companies in being able to be managed in designated systems.
10 Reasons to Have New Information Systems
10 reasons that it is so important for companies are:
- Control Creation and Growth of Records – Less paper wasted as everything becomes computerized
- Reduces Operating Costs – Storing inactive records in IS costs less per linear foot for the company
- 3. It Improves Both Efficiency and Productivity – Helps to upgrade record keeping so retrieval of information needed is vastly improved
- Assimilate New Records Management Technologies – Can be used in any area of the company, helps analyze manual recordkeeping and applied automation
- Ensures Regulatory Compliance – Companies have to be able to make sure that they are in regulations by having a good IS that is responsible for regulatory compliances
- Minimize Litigation Risk – The main reason IS is used is to reduce the risk of litigation and penalties. A newer system put in place will help to ensure this happens.
- Safeguard Vital Information – This is necessary in order to protect records and information as all agencies are susceptible to attack or natural disasters. This will provide backups and save the information in a safe place of the company’s choosing, for retrieval later.
- It Helps to Support Better Management Decision Making Capabilities – A newer system put into place will help managers and executives to better find information that they need when they need it to make critical business decisions. ERP systems would be perfect here instead of doing everything manually.
- It Helps to Preserve Corporate Memory – This is done through everyday activities and record keeping.
- Foster Professionalism in Running the Company – Neatness and cleanliness are key in running a smooth organization
Why Update at All?
Good, solidly built IS means that companies that use it will be able to align their strategies together into a clear point of view as to where they want to go. It also helps to find relationships that would be considered critical and gaps in their company culture and infrastructure. Good information systems find answers on how to gain competitive advantage against their competition by improving alignment to strategic decision making.